A long time ago I made a cowl for someone who wanted one the same as the one I was wearing at the time. I couldn’t get exactly the same yarn but I bought something similar and proceeded to knit it. (The yarn was a multi-colour, random sort of yarn.)
However it came out with stripes in some places. I quite liked the stripes but didn’t seem able to reproduce them further up, though you can see a narrow band that gets a bit stripey.so I contented myself with the fact that this part wouldn’t not show when it was worn, but it puzzled me.
Recently on a Ravelry Forum, there was a thread about planned pooling and I mentioned this item and asked whether it was a change in tension or a change in the way the yarn was dyed that caused the difference. The person who responded said she thought it was a matter of my changing my tension. It is an unusual stitch and so although my tension was good enough it may have varied.
Now I had half a ball of the yarn left in my “stash”,
I therefore decided to try knitting the yarn so as to create stripes and see what happened.
The colours seemed to repeat about every 120 stitches. At first I cast on with the yarn but then decided that I probably used a slightly different amount of yarn casting on, so cast on in white then knitted until the colour change. It was obvious that the colours would need to be knitted in the round to get the repeats to line up.
And I produced this. I read about the fact that to get things perfect you might have to adjust your tension, and I did this a bit in the early stages but soon realised that the sections of the different colours would move out of sync and then back again if I kept my tension even. As you can see here the colours were quite a bit off but then regrouped when I came round again.
The yarn has obviously been dyed to make a variety in the length of the different colours but not enough to lose all regularity.
I also decided that I had been right when I though that the colours might have repeated at half the width.
As you can see when you compare the one side to the other half.
I can now see that there is even an amount of left right symmetry so it might have been possible to knit the yarn flat as well.
So the question is shall I try to make something that uses this effect?
At this width it could maybe be a cowl but I have lots of scarves and cowl type things so I wondered about undoing it and halving the number of stitches to make it into a project bag.
I also thought of seeing what would happen if I chose to crochet the yarn.
So you may be hearing more about this in future.
If I want to do the sort of precision planned pooling I have seen though, I would have to choose a different yarn.
For interest my original cowl came out like this.
But the matching fingerless gloves (that turn into mittens), I made for Friday food shopping when it was raining, do have the colours bunching a bit.The idea was to be able to keep my gloves on in the greengrocers, while having my fingers covered when out in the cold and wet.