Three months ago I made some crochet seahorses From this pattern, though the lavender one is my own hybrid mix of the two patterns.
I wanted to display them somewhere and thought they would make a perfect hanging for a bathroom.
With all the other things I have been wanting to make it has taken a while but finally:-
Here is the hanging display all set up on my bathroom wall.
Recently Wild Daffodil created a crochet pattern for a seahorse, made several and then offered to give some of them away. I entered but was unsuccessful and so decided that I would buy the pattern that she had put up for sale and make one myself.
The first thing I did was copy the text into Word and using ‘find & replace’ changed it from US terms to UK as otherwise I am sure I would have made lots of silly mistakes!
The first one I made was the one I would have liked to win. It is a very clever pattern but I must admit it made me realise that I am not as good at crochet as I thought I was as I struggled with all those slip stitches, often caught the yarn on the hook and had to redo the head and snout several times.
In my defence though I did realise later that since I crochet tightly I ought to have gone up a hook size from 3mm to 3.5mm and that it would have helped to look at the pictures!
There was a second pattern for a seahorse made in 4ply cotton. Now I didn’t have 4ply cotton but I did have some DK cotton so I decided that I would try that one as well but using the larger hook.The tummy and snout are subtly different.
I still found myself struggling a bit but not as badly.
Having compared the two seahorses I decided that I liked the tummy on the cotton one but the snout on the acrylic one, so decided to make a hybrid. Here you can see all three. Finally I had time to make one more (the original in the larger hook for a comparison) but I decided I would be a bit more relaxed this time, not worry so much about making mistakes and see if I could hit the thirty minutes mentioned in the pattern. Well I didn’t manage to complete it in thirty minutes but it was under an hour, just! which was less than before. But I think his eye is a bit large which I didn’t notice at the time!
So here are the first and the last. Same pattern but different hook sizes. And here are all four. I do have plans for these fellows which I will hope to show you eventually, but not before Christmas!