First a bit about the side made out of thirty six one-colour squares.
I started by making some squares out of yarn I had left over from my blanket. Lipstick, Pomegranate,Shrimp, Saffron, Citron, Meadow, Sage, Aster, Violet, Plum.
As I mentioned in a previous post the idea was to use these round the outer part and have bi-colour ones in the centre but I couldn’t get that to work so I chose two more colours: Aspen and one colour I had not used in the blanket but had bought as an impulse purchase: one of Stylecraft’s new colours, a dark blue called Lobelia. I thought it was prettier than Royal.
This gave me three each of twelve colours, a total of thirty-six.
I had worked out that a 7×7 square would be too big and a 6×6 square a little too small for a side of the cushion, so I chose to make a 6×6 square with a border.
This time I decided to crochet the squares together using slip stitches on the wrong side. This was much quicker and easier than sewing. Not that I regret sewing the other side of the cushion cover as that would have been tricky to crochet because of the different sizes.
Some information about the other side. There I had used only seven ‘rainbow’ colours: leftovers from the blanket again – Lipstick,
Pomegranate, Shrimp, Spice, Saffron, Citron, Meadow, Sage, Aster, Violet, Plum. Again I had added the Lobelia as an ‘indigo’ colour.
And here is the finished cushion. and the other side. It was hard to decide how to close the cushion so I decided to crochet all the way round leaving the ends easy to get at so if I needed to wash the cover at some future time I could pull out the crochet round the last side and re crochet afterwards.
And here a couple of picture of my old and new cushions.andThese are two cushions not four! I can just mix and match which side is showing.