This is my hundredth post. So exciting. Hard to imagine in the beginning doing so many!
Now to the topic in hand.
It is not in my nature to start a project like this CAL without casting my mind forward and trying to imagine what the finished article will look like.
The big question seemed to be how did one join so many disparate squares together in a harmonious fashion? and preferably without sewing!
I then remembered seeing a picture of a crochet blanket, and it will have to remain a memory because I have not been able to find the picture again. The blanket, as I remember it, was made up of a number of squares which were not granny squares and were in a variety of colours and patterns, each square however was edged in the same colour and the area between each square was filled with a twisted almost rope like piece of crochet in white or cream.
I discovered that this ‘rope’ was what is produced by the ‘Flat Braid’ method of joining crochet squares and decided that it would probably do very well for this project as it would allow each square to stand on it’s own and would avoid the problem of too close a juxtaposition of colours that might not go well together.
The colours I decided to use for this purpose were the Stylecraft colours: camel and parchment as seen in this picture. Last two, second row on the left.
I decided to use them to suggest paths as inspired by this photograph and others that I took on my visit in June that show the paths in the walled gardens at Mottisfont.
As you can see the path is edged with a brownish coloured brick and is itself light and sandy.
* * * * *
This last week I took the time to try and join some of the squares using the flat braid method. I chose four squares that were naturally flat and about the same size, edged them with the camel yarn and then joined them with the parchment.
Being a very impatient person I did this as quickly as possible and I can see I have made a mistake in one place but that doesn’t matter too much as this joining together will not be permanent and I will take the squares apart when I have finished experimenting.
I noticed that when adding the scallops the edges of the squares tended to become crinkly but this crinkling disappeared when they were joined.
Being happy with my first attempt, I decided to be more bold and chose the square that was the least flat of all: square no. 22,
and decided that if I could join that in with others satisfactorily I had found my method.
This time, as you can see, with an eye to what I might do at the edges, I didn’t add the scallops on the outside.
I declared this a success.
I think it may even be flexible enough to accommodate a slight variation in the size of the squares.
* * * * *
I also learnt lessons about checking and counting so as to use the right stitches and that it is best to omit the corner loops at the edge.
Here I have made corner loops at the edge
and here I have left them out..
I can see that this method may show up the fact that I struggle to crochet evenly but sewing them together would show up my weaknesses even more. So I know I will use this method to join the squares at the end, when I know how many I want to use and can decide how to arrange them.
In the meantime I can start edging all the squares in the camel yarn, in between making the new ones each week.