Well I have now all but finished the first of another pair of socks in the same yarn. I am going to delay casting off as I think I can make the socks to match fairly closely but will use almost all the remaining yarn so I want to give myself the chance to easily modify the first sock if I am wrong and run out of yarn.
The wraps for this method are different to the way I have done them previously.
They are done at the beginning of the row and the yarn goes over the top of the stitch and needle as in this picture.
I found the pattern on the Schachenmayr web site (They make Regia sock wool) and the link for the pattern is here:- http://us.schachenmayr.com/files/patterns/Sock%20Guide%20US-4-ply-final.pdf. The heel instructions are on the second page.
I found it hard to envisage the way the wraps and rows went so I drew myself a chart which proved to be accurate. So for those of you who like such things I include it here.
As I suspected the heel looks less smooth than my previous method and I did have difficulty knitting the wrapped stitches but I think that was unfamiliarity, and that next time I will find them easier than the double wrapped stitches of my normal method, especially as there is only one wrap to deal with.
Previous style heel
The holes along the side of the heel are bigger but that may just be that I did not pull the yarn hard enough. You don’t seem to see holes on the picture with the pattern.
The problem with correcting a biggish hole when you return to knitting in the round is eliminated. (As I think you can see.) Though I did have a bit of trouble one side as I dropped a stitch or two and had to pick them up. 😦 (So I won’t show you that side.)
You do get two rows of the same colour as the middle of the heel included in the front of the sock, so it wouldn’t be a good method if you were making the heel in a contrasting colour.
They are the two white and purple rows in this picture. With this type of yarn it looks fine.
I am not sure if this heel will become my method of choice but it has given me an idea of how I could amend my normal method to eliminate the problem holes in a different way. If I can get this to work I will report on it in due course. But I think that I have been spending too much time on knitting lately and, although I will finish the waistcoat, it is also time that I got back to some crochet.
But before I leave I will share a couple of photographs.
We don’t get snow very often in Southampton but when I woke up this morning it had snowed overnight so I grabbed my camera and took a couple of photographs through the window.
And one in black and white.
By the end of the morning it had all gone.