Over the last few weeks I have been working on a dinosaur for my grandson.
First of course I had to look for a pattern. I discovered that there are very few books for knitted or crochet dinosaurs; in fact I only found one of each and reviews on Amazon suggested issues. The dinosaurs pictured were also not quite good enough, not realistic enough. There were some on Ravelry that I was almost tempted by but they cost more per dinosaur than buying a book.
Then I found a FREE pattern that was just perfect.
Well almost: it was in Spanish.
However with a bit of help from Google Translate and a table of Spanish crochet terms for where Google faltered, I was off.
You can also find it here on Ravelry – https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/dinosaurio-t-rex
So meet the dinosaur.
I made his head, body and tail first then his limbs.
This was where it began to become more difficult. To make his front legs you first make his toes then link them together to continue up the limb. They involve a magic loop then spiraling from just five dcs (US-scs). To work in a circle, especially such a small circle, it is easiest to work at the back of the circle however that means that the right side is inside and it wasn’t until I had finished the legs that I realised that they were inside out!!
So undoing down to toes, turning toes right way out and redoing limb.
At least this meant that I didn’t make this mistake with the back legs.
Theses toes were fatter underneath and the feet are quite shapely. I had not looked at the diagram that says how to join the toes before doing the feet, But when I shaped the feet I could tell they were not bulging in the right places so more undoing. I had a bit more difficulty when it came to understanding the method of creating the heel but eventually I got it right and then I just kept going following the instructions precisely. Do you like his knobbly knees? So clever.
The instructions for shaping the face were also amazingly detailed. Showing exactly where to insert the needle. The dinosaur pictured in the pattern had plastic eyes with yellow irises but I only had all black safety eyes so I added a bit of yellow felt.
Then I had to make the teeth!
I made all the teeth in white acrylic yarn only to realise that they were much too big.
Recourse to the pattern showed that the pattern suggested making the body in an aran weight yarn (I had used DK) and then making the teeth in something that appeared to be about 4-ply. So I decided all that I could do was to try #10 crochet cotton.
Teeth were not easy. Only three stitches into a magic loop then increasing gradually. At first I was remaking each tooth maybe half-a-dozen times before I could get to the end!!!!! This was in acrylic, cotton was even harder, but I did get into a bit more of a rhythm eventually!
And twenty-one in all with three different sizes involved.
But when I had finally made all the teeth and then sewn them securely and evenly in his mouth, he looked suitably fierce.
Now it was a matter of joining head to body then back limbs, then tail, which partially covered the back limbs, and finally the front limbs.A few ridges down his back and he was complete. (As you can see there were some bits in cream too! The foot claws were a bit like the teeth! and black for inside the mouth.)Another view. And marching across the plain. I had to use him leaning against the chair to take these photographs but using a cardboard cylinder under his tail he can stand freely.