Since the idea of wearing mask has been mooted, I have considered making one. However the big question was what sort?
Never one to make a hasty decision, I looked at the suggested options. There was the no cutting, no sewing, version using a scarf that you folded but I didn’t have any suitable scarves, so that was out. The cutting up a T-shirt method. Well I have plenty of old T-shirts I could use but once I saw two different ways of doing it that seemed a problem. How to choose the best method?
There was also a method sewing a rectangle of cloth, well I should be able to do one that needed sewing; I even had my sewing machine out after making my last phone case. But I didn’t need a mask yet.
Then the government started talking about wearing masks in certain situations and they even gave suggestions. So I looked. But their sewing version used square pieces of cloth, Oh dear! Was a square better?
A few days later, when my next door neightbour kindly went and bought me some milk, I saw that she was wearing one that her sister sent her, she said, which was shaped and looked really good.
Then I read a post about somebody else having made a shaped mask which contained a link to a YouTube video. I spent almost an hour watching the video, most unusual for me because I normally avoid videos when on-line, preferring photographs and writing. Made copious notes and decided that that was the one for me!
There was a suggestion to cut up pillow cases but all my pillow cases are poly-cotton and I need them, so I went and found my scraps of cotton material left from making my trousers.
I decided to make one from the material of the trousers I was wearing at the time because it is such a happy fabric.
But first I had to make the pattern so I got what I needed together.
The suggestion had been that you draw the curved lines freehand, having been told how far from the line the centre was. Well I knew I couldn’t make a good job of that so, remembering what I had learnt in Geometry, all those years ago, about how to find the centre of a circle through three points, I got out my compass and used that.
Cut out the pattern.
Then found the fabric. But I also needed another fabric for the lining.
I got out the material for my plainer trousers and some of the curtain lining material I had used when mending my chair cover and decided that the trouser material would be better against the face.
So I pinned the fabric to the first material and afterwards the other and cut out the four pieces I needed. Pinned them together in pairs, right sides together. Sewed the seams.I was actually quite pleased and was pleasantly surprised that I had managed this well.
Now it was time to clip the seams and get out the iron,before pinning the other edges togetherand sewing. Not quite such good sewing this time.
Then you had to turn them the right side out, give it an iron and add a row of stitching to make a casing to hold a piece of wire.I couldn’t find the purple thread I had used when making the trousers; wasn’t even sure I hadn’t used it all up, so I was using the white the machine was threaded with. (I don’t have much cotton except white and black at present.)
Now I needed a piece of wire. I unfolded a paper clip as had been suggested but it seemed much too stiff, so I went in the garage and found this piece of garden tie.
I had the same problem threading it through as the woman in the video 🙂 but eventually it was done and all I needed was to add some elastic.
Luckily I found that I had some, though, here again, not a great deal.
And so I finished the mask.
I also made an ear saver from Wild Daffodil’s free pattern. However when I used it, the elastic was too tight. The elastic was not too uncomfortable around my ears, though the mask sits a little too near my eyes. I think the tops of my ears are to high!
Here I am wearing it.
The next day I tried some new elastic that I had.
Cut a longer piece than the other elastic and tied two knots in the end to make it easier to sew in securely and gave one side a try with the ear saver. Since this seemed better I replaced the elastic both sides. I found for best fit I needed to shorten the elastic a little but I will leave it like that for now.
Here is the new fitting. It feels more comfortable like this. Not that I think I will ever really enjoy it.
I then I went on to make another one for my daughter.
She asked for a sober outer. (Well she might have to wear it for work.) and I managed to find a little turquoise thread for the top stitching.
However she did say to give her a fun lining because the mask is reversible.
So I gave her parrots, on rightand left sides.
Not sure if to leave her to add the wire and elastic herself – we’ll see!
If you are interested
Here is where you will find the video – Face mask sewing tutorial: Create a fitted face mask with changeable filter | Creative Bloq
And here is a link to the ear saver pattern – https://daffodilwild.wordpress.com/2020/04/25/ear-savers/