I have been plugging away at the cross stitch bookmark kit I showed you. Only of course on sunny days.
It has expensive instructions on how to approach it that I am trying to follow.
Seeing that you could buy strips with holes to keep the cotton lengths orderly. I punched some holes round the edge of a postcard and threaded the lengths of cotton through.
I started with the border
Then moved on to the branch up the centre
and have just finished the flowers.
There are two other small white areas where the birds will be but I am leaving them till I have done the birds as that will be easier.
My old eyes are really feeling the strain though. I have a large magnifying glass with a small extra magnification section and I am using this both for the chart and the actually stitches. I am beginning to find that after a dozen stitches I have to stop.
Once you have used a hole it is very hard to see it when you have to go through it again, for another stitch on the next row perhaps. I even had to remove a whole section I had done once as I didn’t feel it was done well enough. And that’s not to say what I have done is perfect – far from it!
This is 18 holes to the inch I think. I think I could manage it it was 10 stitches to the inch but I don’t think they even make that frequency these days.
Be good when it’s finished though and I do like bookmarks.