As well as making the angels and a bit of cross stitch I have been making more succulents. Mainly the one I am about to show you.
Years ago I had similarly shaped succulents growing in a pot in my garden. They were very easy to look after except that they kept multiplying and needing re-potting. In the end I got rid of the pots in the back garden just like I had in the house.
Now this Mexican Snowball succulent has taken quite a lot of time to make because it had a lot of component parts and those parts were a bit fiddly. I found the first two rounds and the last two were the ones that I had most trouble with. Watching TV at the same time, of course, probably didn’t help. I was better when I focused just on the crochet in the daylight.
Also there was the yarn.
Now it is a lovely yarn and I knew that it had a variety of colours in it as you can see here. The grey section was particularly noticeable.
Well I started, pulling the yarn from the centre and making all the different sections in front of the TV, in the evenings, but when I came to put them together in the daylight I felt that there was too much variation in the colours so I started working from the outside and even wound off the more obviously grey sections. Round the label not having anything else suitable to hand. Maybe I can use it for something later.
In the end I found myself rejecting 5 large and 3 small leaves althogether.
So of course it took even longer to make. I will probably use these in a later model but I wanted my first one to be ‘perfect’.
So having my necessary – almost perfect – leaves made I had to work out how to model them into the final object.
Now in my opinion the one in the book did not look enough like the photographs of the real thing I found on the internet, as you can see here. Mine is shown resting on the pages of the book.
It took me a whole evening to work out how to attach the leaves to each other to get the right arrangement but it was worth it!
And here is a larger photograph.
Larger than life if you have a big screen!
Originally I was thinking of combining it with some cacti in one of my pots but now I am beginning to feel that it might be better combined with some of the similar shaped succulents whose patterns are included in the book. I will be making them eventually but feel like a change at present, so am making a different one.
Also, cleaning my paving and making lots of angel has aggravated my wrists, so I am having to go easy on the crochet for a few days.