Making this blanket is quite addictive. I keep wanting to see how the next row (or two or three) is going to look and have only done my knitting to give my wrists a rest from crochet.
This next part has been easier on my wrists than the first section and I have found making the popcorns more relaxing that making puff stitches. Not that I think my puff stitches are unsatisfactory.
There is nothing so frustrating as getting to the end of a round, or even being part way through on the next round, and having to undo loads of stitches because you have made a mistake and have the wrong number of stitches. So where there were a lot of similar stitches to count I did the counting in advance and inserted pieces of thread as a double check.
Making this blanket also gives me all sorts of ideas for making my own blanket using some of the ideas.
With the front post shapes in the centre: maybe instead of a flower shape surrounded by a star making a double star.
I also like the flowers as in this picture from above
but I think that, because this yarn stretches so much, remembering to not tighten the stitches for the first row of the flowers is not necessary. So I may try that when I do the border at the end.
I can see that, although I admire Helen Shrimptons expertise and creativity, the reason I have not wanted to make any of her designs up to now is because I find them very ‘busy’. It’s not because there are too many colours, because I like lots of colours and they don’t necessarily have a lot of colours, but practically every row is a different colour to the one before and this overwhelms the standout details in my opinion.
Sandra’s version is much calmer which is why I thought to try my own similar version.
This is where I am now: half way round the current round and two more rounds to complete using the same colour.