The patterns for all my real snowflakes should be available on Ravelry in a few weeks time. (Edited 9th June 2017)
Those of you who have been following this blog for a long time may remember when I collected a number of photographs of actual snowflakes and created crochet versions for seven of them.At the time I decided that the snowflake in the top left of the picture would be too hard for me to make. (As an aside: I also decided that the eighth snowflake (bottom middle) was too textured to be able to do justice to it in three or four rows.)
This was for two main reasons.
- It would have to involve using picot type stitches and I had been unable to make satisfactory picots.
- I was afraid that the arms would end up floppy.
However since then I have discovered where I was going wrong and how to make picots that lie flat. I also saw some snowflakes with a similar style of points in this book: which gave me encouragementand I have been making some snowflakes to be sold in a local charity shop using acrylic yarn and a 2.5mm hook and found that with that size hook, even acrylic snowflakes can end up very firm.
I started off using that size hook rather than a more obvious choice of 3.5mm because I had been given a Clover Armour hook of that size and was really enjoying using it , so was reluctant to use an ordinary hook. And here is a comparison with the original photograph. You can see that even with my crochet not being 100% even it is still more symmetrical than the original!
Note that whereas the other snowflakes for which I created the earlier patterns all end up a similar size this one is necessarily a little larger.
It does benefit from a bit of blocking!Here is a photograph of the snowflake suspended. As you can see the points really do stay stiff!