My 500th Post!
Not having any knitting or crochet to share with you, though there will be something next week, I thought I would show you a few finishing touches I have added to my garden.
Remember this?Well I spent a long time thinking about the best way to protect myself from the need to be forever cutting back the honeysuckle and ivy as it forced it’s way through into my garden.
Now it isn’t as bad as it used to be after I did a mega ‘reclaim my space’ exercise. And in fact it is even more tamed now as some of the ivy you can see died as it was dependent on ivy that started my side of the fence. And I think some of that ivy was supporting the honeysuckle.
I gave hours of thought as to what I should do and as far as the ivy was concerned even thought of buying some perspex sheet for the far side of the trellis in that corner but in the end settled for garden quality plastic sheet. Although having the sheet on this side of the fence as well is a little unsightly, it does ensure that the ivy can’t creep under the trellis panel!
I installed the plastic on Saturday and then on Sunday I moved on to some rush screening that you can just see in the above picture.
I removed the trellis panel and attached what was in fact half a 2m x 4m piece of rush screening to the fence post, wall and a plastic pole that you can’t see. I don’t know if you can see the ties in this photogaph but I went to the garden centre for the pole and some brown string but found something new: a sort of brown plastic tube. Hopefully this is better as I have found that garden string decays after a season or two.I used this to attach the trellis in several places where there were cable ties in the wall as well as the posts. Of course I cut the ends down before I replaced the trellis. Again I had had several ideas of what to do here but although it may not prove a total barrier, I am pleased with my choice as it looks very natural.
And it does not cut down the light too much as you can see from this shadow. And then on Monday I gave the render three coats of masonry paint. Phew! glad that is over.