Last sumer you may remember I made this top and trousers. These trousers look alright under a long top but, although ostensibly on the waist, they tended to be tight round the bottom and cut in behind and below so I had to wear them quite low down to be comfortable. In measuring a pair of shop bought comfortable trousers, I realised that the back section of these was much longer and I adapted the pattern to be more that shape by lengthening both front and back pieces and then adding in a wedge to make the back even longer.
But I cut out the material for the second pair when it was getting too cold to wear them so I put them aside to sew up some time ‘during the winter’ of course good intentions and all that but when I cut out some material to make a bean bag I decided that I really had to make the trousers first or maybe I would never get around to it!
Those of you who are good at dressmaking can now have a good laugh and feel smug!
So last week I settled down to start. With the previous dressmaking I had intended to try using the electric machine that I inherited from my mother now that it had a new motor but couldn’t get it to work. Over the winter I decided that maybe all it needed was some oil – (What gave me the idea that modern machines don’t need oiling I don’t know!)
So, using the electric machine, I started on Monday and Tuesday, when I had a little time, attaching the pockets but really settled down to the making on Wednesday.
However it became a very stressful experience and I didn’t have a happy smile on my face like the suns on the trousers! In fact I ended up not taking my normal care when making clothes just wanting to get it finished.
I realised on the Wednesday that the machine was skipping stitches not only when zig-zagging but also with the straight stitching. I wondered whether it had something to do with my stop/start approach to stitching but it was doing it in the middle of a run as well. I tried re-threading the machine several times, taking the bobbin section apart that is such a fiddle to put back together and in the end got so fed up that I changed over to my old manual Singer that I am much happier using.
However that was skipping stitches too and I even sewed one seam twice in the hopes that the skipped bits would occur in different places!
Then I remembered that I had a reel of cotton thread that was the right colour so I needn’t have bought the synthetic one and tried that instead but no difference. Last of all in desperation I changed to my only other Singer needle that was a thicker one and that seemed to do the trick. (Not that it was the right size for the weight of fabric!)
Exhausted, I managed to finish the trousers that evening.
Here is a closer look. These are still only just up to my waist but they are a much more comfortable fit. I also managed to get the stitching for the three rows of elastic of equal width this time!
And here is a photo of the zig-zag stitching on the electric machine. I had thought it would be so much better than using the attachment that my mother had bought when I was a child to use with the Singer. But here is how this went (when I had changed the needle.) You can see where I did the double seam before I had solved my problem!
Not sure of I can face any more dressmaking after this but I will be having a go this week at making the bean bag but with my manual Singer this time!