When I mention recoating the fence with preservative I said there would be an update.
Before I coated the fence I decided to lift a few slabs and create a bed where the apple tree will be as I thought that would mean I could make sure there was enough soil and would mark it’s approximate location for when the new slabs are laid. (Unfortunately my new wind spinner lost a couple of vanes and I never found the red one! 😦 )You can also see what happens when you don’t bother to coat a fence with preservative. The fence in the next garden has not been up as long as mine!
I used the slabs to make a fairly solid place to reach the plants that are overhanging my garden. Unfortunately it wasn’t big enough for the step ladder but I could use a chair safely.
Here is what I had to cut back. The ivy has been the bane of my life since I moved there and the honeysuckle strangled my clematis and made my climbing rose shoot up to the sky. (I could cut the ivy standing on the ground fourteen years ago.)Here is how it looks now. I am going to find a way to ivy-proof the trellis before I put it back.
This was taken after I had coated the fence and trellis.
Although I felt bad about using the less environmentally friendly coating, I do think that I prefer the colour though it is maybe a little darker.
You can see here the original colour at the top though a little weathered. It was even more orange looking when newly applied. The new coating is a browner brown. It seemed a bit dark to start with but after three coats the colour developed into something acceptable. I didn’t want it too dark as darker colours bring objects forward while lighter colours make them recede and the garden is small enough.
Of course it is not perfect. Here is how the less weathered piece I showed you before looks now. Where there was green staining the fence went black and there are runs from the previous coating showing through in places. All that painting on of coating really aggravated the pains in my wrists but luckily my wrists are a lot better now and it was worth doing. Hence a garden update rather than craft! though I have been doing some.
An update on the table…
Remember this?Well I finally decided that I had to try in out in the garden permanently as I couldn’t keep bringing it out and taking it back in but as I feared the renewed finish didn’t manage to survive. Better than it was but not a lasting solution.
Just a couple more things to share.
When I ripped up all the plants I was getting rid of I also ripped up the pulmonaria which was in the wrong place but later realised that I should have just transplanted it. However I did find a few seedlings around the place so have planted them where I want the pulmonaria. Here is one of them. So maybe I can save myself some money!
I don’t normally pick flowers from the garden because they last so much longer in situ but I have decided to pick a few of the lily of the valley to bring indoors for the scent and I added a few longer pieces of forget-me-not. You can see that flower arranging is not really something I am good at!