A little while ago I saw this post – http://www.craftsbythesea.co.uk/category/hand-made/ and was fascinated by the texture and the combination of plain and multicolour yarn.
I found that the pattern was on ravelry and came from here – http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/earhart-2
The more I revisted the pattern the more I liked it and although it actually cost money!! I decided that I had to buy it but only if I could find a way of using it for a waiscoat, as having just finished my Miette cardigan I didn’t feel that I needed another one.
Searching through the waistcoat patterns. I found this – http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/123-10-waistcoat-with-cables-in-nepal which looked as if it might be compatible.
So I bought the pattern. I knew I was going to have to buy some new points for my circular needles so although I don’t normally bother with a tension square, as I knit pretty much to standard tension, I decided to knit one. I was having to use different yarns that those suggested in the pattern and it wasn’t just straight stocking stitch so this seemed a wise choice.
The yarns are the one you saw that I had bought recently.
The plain coloured one is Drops Big Merino (aran)- Plum. I bought six 50g balls. The multicolour yarn is King Cole Riot (chunky) – Cool. I bough three 100g balls. They are both lovely soft yarns. The Drops in pure wool and the King Cole a mixture of wool and soft acrylic. The King Cole has a long repeat for the colours which is necessary if you want a stripey rather than a spotty effect.
I am hoping that this will be the right amount.
My first attempt was just not right! This is what should have been the ‘right’ side!
It took me a while to work out why. But it was all to do with how you carried the yarn when slipping stitches.
So when I worked that out! So much better!
This shows my attempt with two different sizes of needles. The pattern specifies 28 rows to 4″/10cm and 6mm needles gave me about the right width but only about 3.5″ in height, so I tried 7mm. However a quick count of the rows on the sleeves suggested that it was more like 32 rows for 4″. So I am going with 6mm.
I have now knitted about the first six inches and am pleased with how it is turning out.