I said at the beginning of the year that I was intending to make some knitted and crochet flowers to adorn my home.
Well I have made a start with two roses and a rose bud which I made from some of the yarn left over from the cottage garden blanket.
Maybe I should have taken more pictures along the way but the roses consist of six knitted petals: two each of three different sizes which differ by just a couple of rows of stocking stitch.
As you can see here
That was easy enough
and the stem was a 3 stitch cord, which I found straightforward once I got into the rhythm of it
but the sepals for the rose meant transferring the three stitches onto three double-pointed needles and then working in the round doing things like kpk into each stitch.
For the first rose I managed, just about, though with difficulty. With the second rose I was dropping the stitches off the needles so much that I gave up and used a long circular though it was still difficult.
The bud was much easier.
The petals were knitted in one flat piece and the the sepals, though a bit trickier, were done in the same way; with the stem cord knitted as the last part. This was much easier than the roses.
I also bought some flower wire from Hobbycraft
which I used to stiffen the stems.
I won’t say they are perfect but they look pretty on the mantlepiece.