Since I made my list of projects for this year I have added two new ones! 🙂
Both are for things I have been requested to make.
The first that I started is here.
This is for someone who saw me wearing the (well people seem to call it a cowl) – seen on the left in the picture below – that I made a few years ago (Post HERE)
and asked if I could make her one. She said that she liked ‘colourful!’ so I chose some similar yarn to that I used before but in a different colourway.
You may notice that the first part turned out rather differently to the later part. I can only imagine this is a change in the way the yarn was coloured as it is simply a tube. Luckily that part will be under the coat or jacket or I could roll that part up instead of the end. (I have to make 30ins altogether).
In order that it doesn’t delay me too much on my other projects, I am trying to knit it on the bus and other in-between times.
Interestingly, I remember when I made my Buff® – HERE that after the first few inches I found it a bit boring to go on round after round for, in that case, just a total of 18ins. I am not finding that this time and I think that that is largely because I am enjoying the colours so much. (The Buff® was made in shades of brown and white.)
The second item I have made for someone else, is because I remembered that my dishcloth had been approved of as being good for cleaning surfaces over Christmas and the person concerned had said they would like one.
As it does not take long to make a dishcloth I made them one but this time I used a different pattern in the hopes that this dishcloth would be as good at cleaning but would be easier to wring out and quicker to dry than the previous one.
It is simply a row of chains then trebles (US – dcs) into each stitch and on subsequent rows trebles worked into the spaces between the stitches on the previous row. I used a fairly large hook to make it looser.
I noticed that when I did a Google search that there are an amazing number of different and some very pretty dishcloths out there but very few are loose and holey.
Well I should have taken a picture of the hole, but much to my regret I found that one of my beaded slippers had developed a hole underneath the toe part. Luckily I had some of the yarn left and I realised that if I undid back to just before the hole, I could re-knit from there to the toe.
Here is a picture showing where the hole was.
You can see that most of the non-slip spots I had put on the underside have either come off or been removed by me because they were too bumpy. Next time I know, if I use that method, that I need to open the bottle and use it just once. Which has made me look for other solutions.
Since I didn’t want to end up taking the whole thing apart, I found myself using the circular needles ‘magic loop’ method but knitting back and forth, to knit something that had originally been knitted on straight needles.
I was able to rescue some of the original yarn. Here you can see the scraps and the ball of useable yarn I had after undoing to below the hole.
I am trying out a cheap idea for reinforcing the sole of the slippers. I had some thick dishcloth cotton that I thought was too thick for dishcloths, so I crochetted a simple sole and here it is tacked to the bottom of the other slipper. I am still thinking about the best way to sew it on.