Mobile pattern challenge

This post is not about a moving pattern or a pattern related to a mobile phone but a pattern for one of those decorative objects that people hang over baby’s cots and in other places.

0088-pictureofmobile
This will enlarge so you can have a closer look

It all started when a crafting group friend showed me the piece of paper you can see to your left and said something along the lines of  “You’re good at crochet! I’d like you to make me a pattern.”

(She had inherited the page shown from her mother and it had obviously been saved for the instructions on the reverse showing how to make various crochet stitches.)

Well, I must admit that my first reaction was to be a bit taken aback, but I always like a challenge so I said that I would see what I could do.

I went home, got out my magnifying glass and some scrap variegated yarn that was maybe four-ply and tried out a few ideas.

As you can see if you look closely there are instructions for the yarn to use, the hook size, the tension and the first two rows for the balloon. (All in US terms.)

I ignored the bit about the tension and just got going on the balloon.

I realised after a bit that the main body of the balloon was hdc (UK – htr) and after that it was fairly plain sailing. 😉

This was my first attempt at the balloon and basket.

First attempt at balloon

I decided that the bottom of the balloon was too narrow and re-wrote the pattern.

I couldn’t decide what size the balloons were in the picture and of course with a thing like this, size is a relative matter.  Interestingly, though, when I came to consider the tension given in the original sheet I realised that it was actually about the same as that I obtain when making the squares for the CAL with DK yarn and a 4mm hook (US – Worsted weight, 6 hook (or betwen F & G according to my conversion chart)).

So I made another balloon and basket with DK yarn and a 4mm hook and got this:-

New balloon and basket

*     *     *     *     *     *

Up to now I had kept strictly to what I could see in the picture without any personal considerations.

However when it came to the clouds, not only could I not see clearly enough to copy them but I didn’t actually like them and thought I could do better.

I showed my friend my first attempt without any stuffing and she thought that it was a little on the large side so I made a smaller version by replacing the htr (US hdc) with dcs (US scs) and stuffed it.

Here is the smaller version with the balloon. I think it is smaller than the clouds in the picture but that it looks quite cute.

Cloud and balloon

I rather enjoyed making the cloud and was pleased with how it turned out. I think that I am developing an intuitive feel for how to shape an item, which will be useful if I ever get round to making some amigurumi type figures.

Here is a comparison between the cloud made with dcs (US scs) and htrs (US hdcs).

Two clouds and balloon

I think that the hardest part to work out was the blue circle at the top. I am not sure if what I have put in the pattern is the correct way to do it.

I am going to include the pattern in the ‘MY PATTERNS’ section of the menu at the top just in case anyone fancies giving it a try.

Advertisements

Published by

Rainbow Junkie

I am a retired mother of three and grandmother of five. I mostly knit and crochet while I watch television. I also love cooking and have dabbled in various other crafty things. I am crazy about: Rainbows, Butterflies, Flowers, Bees, Honey, Hexagons, Snowflakes, Symmetry, Mathematics and Dragons

5 thoughts on “Mobile pattern challenge”

I'd love to hear from you

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s